The Guilford County Association of Educators (GCAE) is committed to advancing the cause of public education. GCAE is the county’s largest professional employee organization and our members work at every level of the education system from pre-school to university graduate programs.
GCAE is an affiliate organization of the National Education Association (NEA). NEA’s members work in every state and in more than 14,000 communities across the United States.
Our Core Values
These principles guide our work and define our mission:
- Equal Opportunity. We believe public education is the gateway to opportunity. All students have the human and civil right to a quality public education that develops their potential, independence, and character.
- A Just Society. We believe public education is vital to building respect for the worth, dignity, and equality of every individual in our diverse society.
- Democracy.We believe public education is the cornerstone of our republic. Public education provides individuals with the skills to be involved, informed, and engaged in our representative democracy.
- Professionalism.We believe that the expertise and judgment of education professionals are critical to student success. We maintain the highest professional standards, and we expect the status, compensation, and respect due all professionals.
- Partnership. We believe partnerships with parents, families, communities, and other stakeholders are essential to quality public education and student success. Collective Action. We believe individuals are strengthened when they work together for the common good. As education professionals, we improve both our professional status and the quality of public education when we unite and advocate collectively.
NCAE began in 1970 by a group of educators committed to integrating our NC public schools. That commitment to equality, advocacy, and access to education for all continues today.
Board of Directors
Vice-President: Kenya Donaldson – 2019-2021
Secretary: Liz Hackney – 2018-2020
Treasurer: Amy Harrison – 2020-2022
ESP Director: Vacant
Primary School Director: Crystal Satterfield – 2019-2021
Primary School Director: Vacant
Elementary School Director: Karen Meacham– 2019-2021
Elementary School Director: Amy Harrison – 2019-2020
Middle School Director: Riley Driver – 2019-2021
Middle School Director: Leah Hendershot – 2018-2020
High School Director: Holly Weaver – 2018-2020
High School Director: Hilary McEachern – 2019-2021
Administration Director: Vacant
Student Services Director: Shana Richards – 2019-2020